Organizational and Operational Guidelines
The Council is the governing board of the Big Bend Environmental Forum. The council is composed of representatives of all organizations that have membership in the Forum. The individual representing an organization must be appointed by the organization or serve ex officio. The manner of such appointment is to be determined by the appointing organization.
Membership is by application. Membership is extended to any organization in the Big Bend Region
- whose mission is compatible with that of the Big Bend Environmental Forum,
- which commits to furthering the goals and objectives of the Big Bend Environmental Forum,
- which commits to active participation in the council meetings and forums of the Big Bend Environmental Forum, and
- which pays, on a timely basis, their dues to the Big Bend Environmental Forum.
Active participation includes, but is not limited to, accepting delegation by the Executive Secretary of the tasks outlined under duties of the Executive Secretary.
Any member of the Council may bring items for the Council agenda. When possible, members should notify the Executive Secretary, in advance of Council meetings, of agenda items to be presented.
When the Council chooses to support an issue or event, the Executive Secretary will solicit the support of organizations whose representatives were not in attendance at the Council meeting.
Council members that support an issue or event will have their names linked to the cause or activity, as members of the Big Bend Environmental Forum. The member names associated with a cause or activity will change from one issue or event to another, depending on election of the member organization to be associated with the cause or activity.
Chair: There will be two permanent officers of the Big Bend Environmental Forum. The first officer will be the Chair. The Chair will be elected from the members of the Council and will serve a one year term; but may be re-elected for successive terms. The Chair will:
- Maintain the records and accounts of the Big Bend Environmental Forum.
- Chair Council meetings, in an orderly, consistent, and fair manner.
- Maintain the mailing lists for members, media contacts, et cetera.
- Keep members informed of activities and events of the Big Bend Environmental Forum.
- Provide for membership records, dues assessments, notices of planning meetings, location of planning meetings, et cetera.
- Maintain the Big Bend Environmental Forum Web Page.
- Assist forum coordinators in achieving successful forums.
- Solicit grant funding in support of Big Bend Environmental Forum causes and activities.
- Work with member organizations to ensure full participation in the Big Bend Environmental Forum by each organization.
- Such other duties that are befitting of the designation Executive Secretary.
It is anticipated that many of the duties of the Chair will be delegated to other Council members.
Coordinator: For each forum or similar activity sponsored by the Big Bend Environmental Forum, a coordinator will be appointed. The assignment will be temporary, lasting until the end of the designated forum or activity and the completion of recordkeeping for the specific event. The Forum Coordinator will:
Each organization shall pay $80 biennial dues, for every two calendar years.
Any member of the Big Bend Environmental Forum may be
dismissed from membership, upon the recommendation of the Executive
Director or any three Council members, for violation of membership
requirements. Such dismissal shall be by majority vote of the Council
members present at a Council meeting, after prior notification that
such a vote is to be taken, is given to all Council members. Prior to
such a vote, the member that is subject to dismissal shall have the opportunity to discuss the issues that have given rise to the impending vote.
Failing to have a representative in attendance at two consecutive regularly called meetings of the Council is considered lack of active participation and subjects an organization to dismissal from the Big Bend Environmental Forum.
Rules of Order
The Executive Director will conduct Council meetings in an orderly, consistent, and fair manner; and in a way that will facilitate the achievement of consensus by the members.